Monday, February 16, 2009

Eating Habits

For a lot of reasons, I have been thinking about my eating habits and that of our family's.

I'm sure part of it is because I'm pregnant and more conscious of what I am eating. I also just shake my head sometimes at the food LM consumes--candy, processed food (not all of the time but enough for me to think about it). I also have not been feeling particularly well--a lot of headaches lately. Last time I had these symptoms, I learned that I was sensitive to wheat, so maybe there is something else my body doesn't like.

[This blog has mainly been devoted to crafting, but I may write more about my gluten free journey at some point.]

Rachel at smallnotebook.org has posted some thought-provoking blogs about food (and money) and pointed me toward The Nourishing Gourmet and Nourishing Days. I've been doing a lot of reading this evening.

A couple of weeks ago the Washington Post featured consumer supported agriculture (CSA) in the Food section, and I checked out localharvest.org to find a farm near us. I emailed them tonight to see if any of the shares were still available.

I have a few things working against me:
  • I honestly really don't get much joy out of cooking. Not something I want to spend a lot of time doing, particularly after working all day
  • Baking is a totally different story--love to bake and love to eat sweet baked goods
  • My husband is not an adventurous eater at all. On the up side, he eats anything I put in front of him and doesn't complain at all.
I thought I might go small to start. No white sugar for a day. Now I know that doesn't sound very ambitious (and it is not), but I think right now in my life small victories are good. So that means:
  • No sugar in hot tea
  • No sugar in the grits (which I eat like oatmeal)
  • No sodas (I really don't like soda much anyway but have been craving something bubbly a lot lately; need to find a good substitute.)
  • No Kool-Aid. It is a childhood thing; many fond memories
  • No 2:00 candy snack (mainly Peppermint patties)
  • No cookies for dessert
It's just one day; anybody can do anything for a day, right?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can do it! I like those flavored seltzer waters they sell at the grocery store. I don't think they have sugar, and they are really refreshing and fizzy cold.

I actually tried to not eat any sugar, including brown, honey, etc. for about a month. It was hard, but doable, and you do lose your need for the sweet after a while. Did I feel better? See, I'm not actually sure that I did...

I don't know if you've read that Jessica Seinfeld book about hiding veggies by purreeing them? Even though I don't have kids, I have enjoyed that book and find, at minimum, it's a good way to get rid of vegetables that I might not get to fresh. And I do use the purees.

I have always wanted to do a CSA, but always find an excuse not to. I will be curious if you do how it goes.