Saturday, August 1, 2009

Can't Afford It

I recently read Rich Dad Poor Dad by Richard Kiyosaki.

One of the ideas that has stuck with me is the difference he talks about between "I can't afford it" and "How can I afford it?"

The first is a statement that shuts down any thought process or creativity and puts one in the role of victim.

The second is a question that really opens up possibilities.  It puts one in a position of control.

I have been experimenting with the two options.  I REALLY want a new laptop ~$1500.  This big ticket purchase is definitely not in the spend plan for the immediate future.  Instead of saying, "I can't afford it," I have been saying "How can I afford it?" and have been brainstorming ways to come up with the $$.  I haven't come up with anything concrete yet, but I have a few ideas for generating the funds to purchase it.  

Although I don't have the laptop yet, this approach has been much more positive of an experience.  


No comments: