I made this blanket tonight in about four hours.
The fabric is from JoAnn Fabric. It is for a baby shower present, but I wanted something that wasn't too frilly and could be used by the child past infancy.
Considering I have never made anything like this nor worked with fleece before, it turned out o.k. I started out with 9" squares, and the finished project is 23" x 30". I think on the next one, I will increase the size of the squares 1/2 inch, so the overall blanket is a bit bigger.
I used the zig zag stitch thinking that would be stronger, but I don't like the way it looks in the end. For the next one, I will try a straight stitch and see how that works out. I should also make the opening in the end a bit smaller, so there is not as much hand sewing to do once the blanket is turned right side out.