Sunday, June 15, 2008

Death

My husband's grandmother, Garnet Elizabeth Mongold, died this morning; she was 88. She is survived by 9 children, 20 grandchildren, and 31 great-grandchildren. Wow!

I can't help but reflect on life, what it means, and how we do/do not impact those around us and the world as a whole.

My deepest thanks to all those grandmothers who love their grandchildren unconditionally, with wide open arms, lots of hugs and kisses, and great food memories. [I don't recall my granny doing much cooking at all when we visited, but I do have great food memories associated with her and her house. There were the small cans of OJ with the peel back tops that were just the right size for little hands. There was the candy at the town pool that we got to buy--you know the fake cigarettes, and she always had cookies in the apple-shaped cookie jar--often they were those peanut butter cookies shaped like peanuts. I don't think the food was particularly good, but these were all things we never had at home--special treats at Granny's.]

No comments: